Expressing Politeness in English – Beginner

Ditulis oleh: Pelajaran Bahasa Inggris -
Today I will show you how to express politeness in English especially for you who new in English (beginner). Let us take a look at the explanation about “Expressing politeness in English – Beginner” below!

Excuse me is a polite expression used:
  1. to attract someone’s attention: Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the museum, please?
  2. to tell someone that you are leaving a place: Excuse me for a moment, Mr Astaman, but I have a lunch appointment in ten minutes
  3. to say you are sorry when you hit someone accidentally, make a small mistake etc: Oh, excuse me, did I spell your name wrong?
  4. to ask someone to repeat something that they have just said: A)What time is it?, B) Excuse me?, A) I asked you what time it is.
People say I beg your pardon or pardon or pardon me as a very polite way of asking someone to repeat what she/he just said because you did not hear or understand it. Example : Pardon, you have to talk louder, I can’t hear you.

The expressions are also used to say that you are sorry because you have just made a mistake.
Example : I do beg your pardon, I thought you were someone else.

You use please:
  1. When you want to ask for something politely: I’d like a cup of coffee, please.
  2. When politely asking to do something: Could I speak to Brian, please?
  3. When you are politely accepting an offer: More toast? Yes, please.
  4. When requesting information: Please, Sir, how do you spell that?

Source
Artono Wardiman, Masduki B. Jahur, M. Sukirman Djusma. 2008. English in Focus for Grade VII Junior High School (SMP/MTs). Departemen Pendidikan Nasional. Jakarta: Pusat Perbukuan